Thursday, December 11, 2008

cambodia.. disappointing ..






bACK from Angkor wat 21km
Completed with a PB time but was not satisfying...

honestly speaking, I SHOULD be satisfied with a PB time.. considering I was off training with coach for 3 months and my fitness was not on tip top form.

Throughout the 6 days there, I had bad diet... I vomitted several times after dinner because the food was just not easy on the stomach.

The pre-race dinner was vomitted out too.
Before the race, I had powerbar for breakfast instead of the usual raisin bread which i normally eat... a HUGE mistake...

Reached the race site, went to toilet for 3 times... diahhroea...

But the next huge mistake was starting out too fast.
I started out at 4min 10 secs per km for the first 2km.
managed to get back to pace for my next 14km.
However, another huge mistake.

I took a hammer jell at 16km and next few km there was no water. The water points had only water and no isotonic drinks at all.... and at 17km, my whole body shut down... it was a sudden hit ... at that point, I was leading second and the 3rd n 4th placings were pretty far away.

When my body shut down, it felt as if i had HIT the wall... like its telling u to stop moving and walk, telling u to give up...

I had this once before, 2005 when i ate a powerjell without water and I collapsed at the 38km mark due to heat exhaustion.

So this time, I knew it was going to happen. and it did... but i managed to set my mind on thinking of someone and managed to persevere thru the race till the end pt and collapse there.

For the next 30mins. I had to be carried to the first aid, cramps were everywhere, i can't control my body and I had to be on dripped. I remember insisting I do not want to be on drip in Cambodia, but i guess my teammate Fabian was distracting me with his words and they managed to inject me without me even knowing it...

I did a PB... 1.37 to 1.38 hour I guess...

I learnt my lesson...
Never try a new diet before race, never eat something u noe u are not used to during race and take every race seriously...

I am upset with the timing but then through the lesson,I learnt a lot...
And I am very sure I am going to do well for the next marathon:)

Thanks to joe and Natalie for asking me to put away all the negative thoughts.
the race affected me a lot, negatively.. but through encouragement and beliefs... I know I can learn and move on.

This is life... U learn more when U lose...
and the next time, you will be a winner:)

I accept losing this race... but in every race. As coach would put it,it's when u lose that u learnt the most out of it:) i am very glad to have friends who know me who understood where I am coming out from.

It's not the position that I am upset about, it's my own attitude towards this race that I am upset with.

I should be more focus.
Winning and Losing is not everything.. learning from losing is everything

No comments: